[pianotech] Rim Separation

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Mar 27 16:32:47 PDT 2009

Terry and all,

I have seen enough delaminated rims in pianos with an accompanying
serious tonal problem to be convinced that it is a serious issue,
which must be fixed if the piano is to be anything other than a PSO.

We have glued up several inner out rim joints, and back beam inner
rim joints, which has proven to me beyond doubt that a lossy case
joint is an energy sucker that we cannot allow.

A couple of years ago we repaired a 6' new grand which was from a
showroom in another Australian city. The distributor sent the
instrument to us for an appraisal, since the local-dealer service
tech' had hung new hammers along with many other procedures in an
attempt to fix the tonal problem with the particular grand.

We inverted the piano and glued up the inner/outer rim joint, which
was so de-laminated that a 300 mm steel rule could be pushed through
the entire height of the joint in many places. The piano was
transformed when the rims were glued together and it went back onto
the showroom floor.

However, I believe that the rim must be drilled and doweled along the
joint-line to achieve a satisfactory repair. The reason is that there
will be sections of the joint where there is very little gap between
the inner and outer, which will make it impossible to work the glue
into the entire 150 mm depth of the joint unless some means of
physically getting the glue into the joint is provided. We drill
holes vertically along the joint spaced at approximately 25 mm and
drill from the bottom to within 30 mm of the inner rim to soundboard
panel joint. The plate really needs to be out of the piano to
facilitate clean up because glue goes absolutely everywhere. The
diameter of the holes are sized so that a 6mm or 1/4" hardwood dowel
can be glued in after the glue has been forced into the joint. We use
a polished brass drift for driving the glue into the rim. Each glue
hole is filled to the top with glue, then the brass drift is used,
driving it to the bottom of the hole and forcing glue everywhere. The
drift is removed and a hardwood dowel glued in to fill the void. This
technique results in a thorough repair. Some will wonder why we don't
just drive the dowel into the glue-filled hole. This won't work when
gluing a 6mm diameter dowel of 160 mm long into the hole, because
friction between the dowel and the side walls will prevent you from
being able to drive the dowel the full depth of the hole.

Here's a couple of images I found in my archives, which show the work.

http://users.tpg.com.au/ronovers/innr.outer.rep1.jpg
A long series drill, as shown, is necessary for drilling the
glue-access holes to a sufficient depth.

http://users.tpg.com.au/ronovers/innr.outer.rep2.jpg
The glued up rim, before the black underside finish is repaired, with
sample hardwood dowel lengths sitting on the rim.

The inner/outer rim joint, belly rail and back beam joints is one of
the fundamentally serious matters which must be evaluated when
assessing a shell, such as a Steinway D for re-manufacture. If the
inner or outer rim laminations are de-laminating, the case should be
scrapped. The other joints, and the entire internals, soundboard
action and keyboard can be changed, but the rim must be good or the
outcome can be nothing but a compromise. Even if the outer/inner rim
joint has de-laminated I'm not scared off from re-manufacturing it
provided that the laminates which make up the inner and outer remain
in good condition.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY