[pianotech] Brass properties of agraffes

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Sun Mar 29 13:03:00 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Does anyone know the mechanical properties (more or less) of the brass used
in today's agraffes, or those of yesteryear? This probably varies with
manufactures around the world. Brass is basically an alloy of copper (say
70%) and zinc (say 30%), but often includes other alloying elements such as
tin or even aluminum in order to modify its properties for strength and
workability (hot worked, cold worked, machinability). Something called High
brass containing 65% copper and 35% zinc, has a high tensile strength and is
used for springs, screws, and rivets. Seems as though High Brass would make
sturdy agraffes.

Of all the properties, I am most interested in tensile strength, both
ultimate and yield (ultimate strength being at times significantly higher
than yield). Also, how are agraffes manufactured today: extruded, blanked
and machined, cast and machined? Tempered?

I am asking because I would like to work up torque values for agraffes,
whether re-installing the originals or replacing with new. Preloading refers
to initial (safe) torque, this load is then statically increased by the
up-pull of the strings, and is finally increased dynamically by the
vibrating string (I would factor this in as a forte blow). I realize that
many of you don't need these values as you have been successfully torquing
up agraffes by feel for many years. I understand that quite well, but it
would be nice to put some numbers on this and to consider safe limits for
torque.

Over-torqued agraffes plastically deform and develop strain-hardening just
under the head and above the threaded stud, and this hardening causes
ductility to drop.  The over-torqued (torsioned) agraffe has passed the
yield point and is now compromised. How much depends.

If someone out there has already investigated this, or has data from
anywhere, I would be interested in the findings.

Thanks

Regards,

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild