[pianotech] Brass properties of agraffes

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Mar 29 16:42:00 PDT 2009

Nick:

All I can tell you is what a metallurgist here in Chicago told me many  years
ago when I had agraffe brass examined and tested for some of the things  you
are seeking.

The brass in the agraffes I presented him (vintage Steinway) is what is
called alpha-brass (34/66), with the agraffes having a zinc/copper ratio of
33/67. He said that much less than 34% zinc will lead to rapid deformation, and
that anything more than 34% will lead to stress failure, from a fracture
mechanical perspective. He found no trace elements of other metals in these
agraffes.

My attempts at the time to contact manufacturers of agraffes for alloy
specifications or any data relating to testing on durability or torque met  with a
brick wall.

I hope you have better luck, and I will look forward to what you can
generate.

Paul

In a message dated 3/29/2009 3:03:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,