[pianotech] "killer octave' cure

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Mar 29 22:09:47 PDT 2009

Ken and Sharon Schneider wrote:
> I have several customers that own Steinway D's in there home and from time
> to time are interested in having me re-voice their pianos to build up the
> area of the killer octave. I am reluctant to do this because the pianos
> sound very even going thru these areas.

Even? At what volume levels?

>Does the Pianotec treble tone
> resonator work in situations such as this?

Sometimes it'll help. It depends on whether the under
supported belly rail, or the inadequately stiff soundboard is
the bigger problem.

>Are there any negative side
> effects to it at all?

Properly installed, no.

After you've lifted the strings and mated them to the hammers,
the bulk of the remainder of killer octave tonal problems are
belly rail and soundboard design related. The real fix is a
working soundboard on a realistically braced belly rail.
Ron N