[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Mon Mar 30 07:36:35 PDT 2009

These are very interesting responses folks, thank you so much.

Leslie, I enjoyed your thoughts.  Jeff, you more-or-less describe my own
situation.

I got into piano tuning & repair in the early to mid 1980s.  At that time,
I had other part-time work, and I did consider whether piano tuning
full-time could be an option. However, the opportunity of a full-time
permanent post in teaching came up, a(relatively)secure and well-paid job.
 So piano tuning has remained a sideline for me.

In Scotland, low population density means that there is simply not enough
work for a huge number of full-time tuners (the population of all of
Scotland is about the same as that of inner London).  I occupy a kind of
geographical niche, however.  I could get more work if I marketed more
agressively and pushed more aggresively into the territory of other
tuners.  But I am in the happy position that I don't need to. I have kept
the piano work going because I love it.  I operate in an entirely
legitimate manner - my income is declared to the Inland Revenue and I have
Public Liability Insurance.  I am also one of what I guess must be very
few tuners in Scotland - perhaps I am the only one - to have invested in a
Fujan lever!

I get work through referrals from happy customers. The local theatre tells
me they always get compliments on the tuning of their Steinway.

Having been tuning for some 25 years and to the satisfaction of all the
noted musical figures locally, I am hardly a fly-by-night. Could I produce
a concert tuning of ravishing wholeness and beauty and a voicing and
regulation of exquisite fineness for a fussy concert pianist? Possibly
not. How many other tuners in a fifty mile radius of here could, I wonder.

I got into piano tuning and repair on a kind of hobby basis in the early
80s and it grew from there. At that time the available college course was
a three-year diploma and I was not in a position financially and in other
ways to undertake it.  For several years the Pianoforte Tuners Association
opened up classes in association with their annual convention, and I
attended many of them, and learned much useful stuff from fine craftsmen.
But I am aware of my limitations. The fascinating rebuilding work
sometimes  described on here would be well beyond my current capabilities.

In the course of 25 years tuning and repair, I have encountered some
shameful work by previous technicians, and some work I'd have been proud
to call my own.  I do not think that in the scale of piano tuning & repair
in the West of Scotland, I offer a bad service. I think I offer a good
one.

What I think I am getting at, is that we must be awake to the possibility
of routes into, and modes of working in, this trade, other than the
traditional apprenticeship-then-into-fulltime-job mode. There isn't so
much of that these days, in any field.

This list is exemplary, I feel, it the generous-hearted openenness of its
contributors, who are willing to share encouragement and knowledge that,
in many contributors here, is vast.

This has been a rather rambling post, I am sorry!

Best regards,

David.