[pianotech] idol voicing

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Mar 30 09:22:37 PDT 2009

Hi Dean----some questions:
---what speakers are you hearing it through?
---is it just through the the TV, or is there an external amp and
system involved?

Speaking in a highly simplified manner, the sound you hear is NOT the
sound that's coming out of the piano. The signal you hear has been
digitally compressed several times along its signal path before it
gets to your ears; has lost both real low and real high frequencies;
has had upper midrange frequencies boosted, sometimes in sonically
ugly ways.

That said, a majority of pianos used in a "pop" situation sound way
too bright, clangy, and metallic for my taste---it's like, why not use
a digital keyboard if you want that sound? But that's just the way it
is: every person grew up with a different "ideal" piano sound; if your
tonal memory of great piano sound was formed by Bruce Hornsby and
David Foster-produced records, that snarling, lo-fi GH1B sound is just
perfect.  Every head is a tonal planet: different gravity, different
atmosphere.

Listen to the pianos on the recordings on my website. We try to
capture the brilliance and percussive aspect of the instrument AS WELL
AS the golden and throaty aspect. Those recording are, as a whole,
pretty good representations of how the pianos actually sound----IF you
are listening on decent speakers.....

Hope this helps.....
David A.