[pianotech] Build a Zapper

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 15:09:23 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Jeff Deutschle <oaronshoulder at gmail.com>wrote:

> Paul:
>
> I have never used a zapper, so what I have written and am writing
> should be viewed as possibilities and not necessarily practical. You
> are right, a scientific constant current source would be overkill.
>
> You mention using a resistor to limit the current. Since we are
> dealing with AC there is a better way. It is called a “ballast” and is
> in a very common hosehold device with a transformer already attached.
> A fluorescent light ballast (which is really a transformer and ballast
> in one package) may be just the thing. Not sure what the required amps
> for zapping might be, but a transformer and ballast for a metallic
> vapor light may work if a fluorescent does not. Or two florescent
> ballasts in parallel might work, too.
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:03 AM, pmc033 at earthlink.net
> <pmc033 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >        My question is, what are we trying to accomplish with the Zapper?
>  Are we
> > trying to "iron" the felt, remove moisture, "singe" the felt (smoke the
> > bushing), or drive out the vertigris?  Even if you use two soldering
> irons,
> > that pin conducts heat very well, and you're going to heat the wood in
> the
> > birds-eye anyway.  Whatever the idea, you don't want to ruin the bushing
> in
> > the process.  This discussion is probably in the archives somewhere.  It
> is
> > not something that should be done on a quality instrument, as the result
> is
> > usually a very loose flange pin fit.  It is a down-and-dirty fix when you
> > don't want to, customer can't afford to, or otherwise aren't going to fix
> > it the right way.  Do I have one?  Yup.  Do I use it? Yup, but I don't
> > expect to get 4-6 swings consistently.
> >        Having said that, I have thought of ways to regulate the heat
> produced, as
> > suggested by Jeff.  The trick is to have the timer begin when the probe
> and
> > pin are a complete circuit.  It's not always easy to make the probe
> contact
> > the center pin to complete the circuit because the pin is often buried in
> > the bushing.  A foot switch would work, with a separate circuit for the
> > power source and a continuity checker.  You would connect the probe, and
> > verify the circuit was closed by using the continuity checker (a buzzer
> > perhaps), then press the switch. The continuity checker  would then
> > disconnect and send power to the probe.
> >        I've built several of these, and one problem I had using a
> doorbell
> > transformer was that the transformer has a built-in safeguard that
> prevents
> > a fire in case there's a short circuit.  Guess what?  The Zapper is a
> short
> > circuit device!  After a few uses, the transformer gives up.  What is
> [...]

Please note that I prefaced my tutorial on how to build a zapper with the
words "We used to".

The point of this little device is to remove moisture, primarily from the
felt, by running DC current through the center pin, thereby heating it and
voila moisture removed. Of course if the flange/bushing/pin happened to be
in a humid environment it didn't last very long.
As we discovered, the removal of said moisture is temporary(no one asked if
it was successful, just how to build one) and when the moisture returns the
initial problem is still there.
Proving, as with most "quick fixes" it looked better on the drawing
board than in actual practice.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404