[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Mon Mar 30 19:35:07 PDT 2009

I've enjoyed reading all the various viewpoints today!

I know my perspective is from the other end of the experience
spectrum.  I'm about as new as they get. I'm just starting out.

My plan is to keep my "day job" and work as feverishly as I can to
build up a large clientele, as well as (I hope!) a great reputation.
Although a certain level of experience is requisite to do a good job,
I truly believe that years and years of experience are not always an
accurate gauge of efficacy. I believe that a strong innate desire to
be the best that I can be will help me learn the things I need to
learn.  I am a highly curious person, by nature, I love to tinker and
build things, I enjoy "shop" work, I take pride and responsibility in
my work, and I enjoy meeting and helping others. That's part of the
reason I'm here on pianotech!  I may not understand all of it (yet!),
but I will.

My choice of starting out part-time is driven by pure economics.  I've
got 3 other hungry mouths in the house that depend on me! Once I get
to a certain level, I will transition to full-time, but I have a
feeling it might take 2-3 years, at a minimum. I'm prepared to put in
the time, market my business, bite off the things I know I can chew
right now, seek help as I need it, and learn, learn, learn!

Before you think I'm just starting out in life, I'm 47. I know there
are some of you that will say I am just starting out! However, I've
also been playing piano for over 40 years,  I'm a songwriter, as well
as my "other" day job. Every place I've ever lived started out with
the question, "Where will the piano fit?" My wife will vouch for that!

Music and pianos have always been and always will be the critical
elements of my life. I believe that will lead to my efficacy as a
tuner/technician and eventual RPT, regardless of whether I make it to
"full-time".

I'm sorry this is kind of long...  I promise to be more concise in
future posts!

Regards,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA