[pianotech] Build a Zapper

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 05:26:28 PDT 2009

Paul:

After yesterday’s pie-in-the-sky engineering I got to thinking about
how many amps might really be required. 120V or 12,000V doesn’t mean
much unless the amperage is high. Nobody ever got electrocuted from a
spark plug, and those are tens of thousands of volts. My thought was
that a ballast already limits current, so why not use it, regardless
of the voltage?

Today I looked up the rated ampacity of 0.050 wire (about the size of
a center pin) and it is around 6 amps! To heat the pin quickly it
would probably take 15 to 20 amps. Yes, a low voltage is necessary.
The ballast idea is unworkable.

But then I got to thinking about the skin effect of RF current.
Wouldn't it work better if only the outside surface of the pin were
heated. So what if the procedure could only be done inside of a farady
cage so as not to mess up everybodies cell phone? Minor
inconvienience!

--
Regards,
Jeff Deutschle

Please address replies to the List. Do not E-mail me privately. Thank You.