[pianotech] Boston Grand Value Opinions

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 4 10:43:01 PDT 2009

Hello esteemed piano professionals. I have put my personal piano up for sale - a Boston GP-178 grand.

It is about 15 years old - serial number is 104642 - anyone have a Pierce handy - I can't find mine?

I don't buy and sell pianos and I don't work for a piano store - I've only sold one piano in the past 10 years, so I'm not the ultimate expert at establishing piano values.

This is the nicest piano I service (well, except for pianos that I've remanufactured!). It is as near showroom condition as a piano can be after a few years. It is satin ebony. It has a fresh action regulation - the action plays as good as any. My wife is the only one who plays it - and that is not often and she is very easy on the piano - after 15 years the hammers are barely marked where they hit the strings - I may have done some light filing when the piano was new, but not since. The soundboard is excellent - nice even tone across the scale - good sustain - no weak areas in killer octave zone.

I am in Tampa, Florida - prices here are typical mid-west USA prices. Anyone care to venture an opinion on a fair selling price range?

I have it advertised at $9,800 - and now that I have someone very interested in it (they will be looking at the piano tonight), I feel that if anything, I've got it priced on the low side of fair. I'm thinking that I want to stand pretty firmly on that price.

Opinions????

Thanks!!!

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano