[pianotech] Perfect pitch - chord recognition, slipping OT

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Tue May 5 09:42:24 PDT 2009

Funny things these tests - there have been a few of them - I've tried a
pitch memory test and a couple of relative pitch tests. Failed them all
miserably.

And yet, in my other life as a keyboard sideman, I sit in as a guest
with many different club acts, no charts, no rehearsals, and I'm
consistently able pick out full chord voicings with good accuracy in
near-real time. I consider myself an average, albeit somewhat lazy,
gigging player. But I've seen this ability in many of the players I work
with. I don't actually think of the name of the chord I'm playing. It's
more like I subconsciously identify the basic chord, it's current
inversion, the dominant low note, and the dominant "accent" notes (7th,
9th, minor, flat 5th, sus4 or whatever) and my hands go right to
position in near-real time, with very little conscious "listening".

I'd be interested in hearing some comments as to why I may have failed
the "relative pitch" test and yet I can function quite well in a busy
club environment of many notes happening, all at the same time,
constantly changing. And all that after several beers!

Phil

--

  /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D

web: www.artistpianocare.ca
    tel: 416-907-3562
    cel: 905-626-3727
   phil at artistpianocare.ca