[pianotech] OT: Re: Perfect pitch - chord recognition, slipping OT

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Wed May 6 03:32:59 PDT 2009

 >Mark Potter wrote:

 >Phil, have you been able to perform at this level of chord recognition
without beers?  THAT could be the answer!!!

Hey, I'm a professional entertainer! I would never conduct an experiment
like that on the customer's dime!

seriously, after I hit the return button I thought, to be fair, I should
have mentioned that most of the time I'm playing within a limited range
of musical genres including R&B, blues, funk, light-duty jazz, classic
rock. So a lot of what I do is likely little more than recalling
predictable sequences & patterns, in other words, memory work. For the
moment, I personally believe that pitch memory and relative pitch
recognition are skills which to a large degree can be developed through
intentional or passive memorization.

I believe my skills were developed through passive memorization, that
is, I've played these tunes and these kinds of tunes so many times over
30 years that a lot of the patterns and structure of the tunes has been
committed to immediate ram.

I guess I'm still wondering if there are strong arguments for the idea
that a person is essentially "born with perfect pitch", as if it's a
special gifting.

I appreciate your comments

Phil