[pianotech] on call tuning rates

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Wed May 6 04:12:29 PDT 2009

Welcome to the world of piano tuning meets pop culture.  You are now part of a production which should not be misconstrued with any normal scheduled tuning appointment you've had in the past. This is an entirely different world  so be prepared to hang on.
As someone who has participated in numerous events such as this, you'll quickly realize that you will be one of a gazillion techs ( sounds techs, backline techs, techs who blow the artist's nose on queue, etc ) who will be on site for the entire process. The bigger the pop artist, the bigger the bank account, the bigger the production of people involved on the daily schedule. The only thing the artist will be concerned with is that everything works and goes as plan he walks through the door. If, however, things start drifting and they decide to break, you'll be summoned to touch up immediately.
>From my experience, I learned to listen and watch the entire time the group was in the studio. If I heard anything remotely starting to drift, I was in there in a jiff as soon as they took their next break. Sometimes I would pass a note to the head stage production manager alerting them that this might be a good time to touch things up. If you stay 2 steps ahead of the complaints, you are looked with great favor. So keeping your eyes and ears open through the whole ordeal. It's actually a very fascinating process and there's much to learn.
Besides, use this an optimal time to really examine your tuning and voicing skills. You'll be in the main  control room ( I assume) and you'll have an opportunity to hear your piano under a microscope. You'll hear things about your piano you never knew before, good and bad.
Something else to consider with events like this.  If you charge too little, they sometimes look at you as someone not worthy. They are accustomed to paying top dollar for top talent.
Tom Servinsky