[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed May 6 23:53:48 MDT 2009

Hi, Matthew:
    I have read some of the replies from esteemed colleagues, and having re-read your original post, have thought of other possiblities that would affect your piano.  My experience with Kawai pianos is that they are good quality, and normally I would be surprised, as you were, to see an uneven hammer line.  I would take a look and see if the keys are level.  Of course, if the capstans aren't adjusted, and there's too much lost motion, the keys won't be level.  Adjust the capstans on a few notes that are out, and see if your keys are level.  Otherwise, you may have something under the keys (like rodent droppings, dirt, etc.) that are pushing up on the keys from below.  I have also seen on some new pianos that the hammerline is completely off, with the hammers out in space not resting on the rail.  I can't say for sure, but I suspect that it was caused by moisture swelling the backrail felt.
    I would recommend taking the keys off and see if there is dirt or other debris under the keys, to be sure there isn't some other reason why the hammers are "all over the place".  Removing the action bracket nuts isn't going to do anything to help.  Put them back on and tighten them.  Take a mallet and seat the brackets onto their posts (don't go crazy) but make sure the brackets are seated.
    See if the dampers lift simultaneously with the pedal.   Are the dampers lifting when they should?  The hammers should be about 1/3 to 1/2 way to the string before the dampers begin to lift when you press the key.
    Beware that if you have to raise the capstans to take up lost motion, you may have to adjust the damper spoons to compensate.  Otherwise, your wippens will lift the dampers early in some cases.
    Ask your customer if anyone did work on the piano, and see if they have receipts or invoices which may give a clue to some previous work.  You kinda need to be a detective here, and sniff out the origin of the problem.  Taking a good "second look", trying to get to the core of the problem, rather than just treat symptoms, makes an ultimate solution.
    Tom is right.  Understand the concept, and your solution is at hand.  Luckily, we work in a world where most problems can be easily seen and understood by sight, feel and sound.
.    Best of luck,
    Paul McCloud, RPT
    San DieGo