[pianotech] Werkmeister III /Kirnberger temperaments

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu May 7 07:38:02 MDT 2009

In my view, yes.  But then I’m often surprised by the general lack of response to differences in temperament by many classical musicians.  To me, they’re simply too strong—but then I feel that way about the Vallotti as well.  Also, for me, I don’t like well temperaments on real bright pianos.  The enhancement of the upper partials highlights the exaggerated interval dissonances too much and gives a much greater sense of “out of tune” to me.  Real low tension, warmer sounding instruments are where these types of tunings sound “better”.  Though, admittedly, I’m not a great fan of making the piano more out of tune than it is already.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com