[pianotech] Hammer Line Issue

tunerboy3 at comcast.net tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu May 7 18:55:37 MDT 2009

Matthew,

Sounds like the whole piano needs a good regulation.  I suspected you would run into bobbling hammers by lowering the capstans.  I recommend that you start from scratch.  Remove all keys and clean under them first. Including the back rail felt.  check under the backrail felt carefully to make sure little mouse droppings haven't made there way or something else that might somehow raise the keys.

Make sure the keys are free (not sticking).  Make sure there is no gunk built on on the balance or front rail pins or capstans, (clean and lub as necessary.  Personally, I use brasso) re-install keys., level the keys, adjust the hammer line accordingly, regulate let off and back checks.  You may have to increase key heighth and don't forget to also check the key dip.   (I'm not stating in any particular order here. I have all I can do to type on the computer I am "borrowing here)

Note:  Before I regulate the whole action, I usually adjust one note completely in the lower bass and one in the upper treble to what I like.  By that I mean, level those keys I'm speaking of and regulate everything on those two or three notes that I've chosen.  Once I am satisfied, I then know that I can level all keys to those and regulate everything else accordingly.  You won't have to repeat anything that way.

The hammers probably need filing and spacing as well after this amount of time.   Adjust spoons accordingly after you've completed a full regulation of the rest of the action.  Go according to specs, give or take...

P.S. My computer is on the fritz so, I'm temporarily borrowing my sons while it gets repaired  Forgive any screw ups, I HATE his computer. :-)))

Jerry Groot RPT