[pianotech] String Guarantee Issues

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat May 9 07:31:42 MDT 2009

>>If you offered your customer a longer guarantee .

The guarantee is always implicit. This story illustrates the reason why our
charges must be generous enough to cover such potential losses. If Patrick
charged enough for the job the first time, he should have enough cushion to
replace those monochords at his own expense. He'll just have to eat the
labor charges. I would do it, even if the string maker refuses to stand
behind them. Because when we do this kind of work it is our reputation that
is on the line. The customer is spending a lot of money to do something that
he doesn't have much knowledge about. He is trusting us to select the right
supplier, to make sure the strings are properly scaled, properly installed,
that the pins will be adequately tight, that we will twist or not twist as
is appropriate, etc.. Lots of decisions that he is trusting us to get right.

Unfortunately, Patrick, you made a choice to get your strings through a
supply house instead of going directly to a better quality custom string
maker. It requires a little more effort on your part to pick a good string
maker (I like Arledge). You have to do some research, talk to other
technicians, set up a new account or get a business credit card. You'll
likely have to pay a little more per string, but it shouldn't effect the
overall price to the customer significantly. And these kinds of supply house
string problems have disappeared for me since I made the switch.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802