[pianotech] String Guarantee Issues

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sat May 9 11:51:51 MDT 2009

Patrick,

I'm not Dean, but let me tell you why I made the same switch:

1.  When I reached the point in my explorations of rescaling that I
wanted to specify the dimensions of a set of bass strings, Mapes became
uninterested in selling to me.  Samples or nothing.

2.  Mapes had been doing a good job on single replacement string orders,
but one time messed up on the winding length.  In order to get a free
replacement, they insisted I ship the faulty string back at my expense.

Even the least expensive source of bass strings isn't a bargain.  Might
as well pay enough to get good service.

Mike