[pianotech] Hammer line issue

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon May 11 00:50:57 MDT 2009

Mon, 11 May 2009 00:59:01 -0400 wimblees at aol.com:
> Israel, et all:
>
> I agree that before doing anything with the damper springs, you should
> make sure everything else is regulated. But if the hammers are
> still bobbling, weakening the damper springs is a very good remedy. I
> had this several months ago with a Steinway console on which I
> installed new damper levers. I had the same problem, and someone
> suggested weakening the damper springs. It worked.
>
> As far as dynamics, I believe the bobbling hammers have a lot of
> effect on dynamics, because no matter how hard you hit the key, the
> hammer will not bounce off the strings in a normal way, which in turn
> will not give you the dynamic control you want.
>
> Maybe a sorcerer, but certainly past the apprentice stage.
>
> Wim
Precisely my point, Wim. An experienced "sorcerer" such as yourself  has
the experience and the judgment to tell when weakening the springs might
be appropriate, the ability to judge how much is appropriate, and the
skill to do it without causing any collateral damage.

I used the "sorcerer's apprentice" metaphor precisely because someone
without your knowledge and experience - if not properly cautioned -
could very well rush into weakening springs when inappropriate or
counterproductive. At best they will waste lots of time - after all, if
the butt is bouncing off the top of the jack due to insufficient
aftertouch, you could screw around with those springs all day - and
accomplish nothing. . At worst they will mangle the springs. Or mangle
hammer return springs that get in the way. Or mess up the damping on the
longer strings.

The sorcerer's apprentice story illustrates the point that a little
knowledge is dangerous. And when I see people saying things like
"weakening the springs helps with dynamics" - that is just so utterly
disinformative. Yes, it could help with control of dynamics an a very
few special cases, because yes, hammer bobbling has an effect on control
of dynamics, and in those few limited cases that the problem is overly
strong springs, then sure, it will help some. But I would bet that in a
great majority of hammer bobbling the problem is aftertouch - not damper
springs. And could also be pinning issues. And - as has been mentioned -
catcher leather or backcheck issues. And if you want to look from the
perspective of dynamics control - well, let's see... A mile wide letoff?
Friction problems? Worn hammers? Lousy voicing? I'm just getting started...

So when a fellow who is trying to learn the trade comes up with a
statement such as we have here: "I have heard several others here say
weakening the damper return springs may help with the dynamics" - that's
not a very productive approach to assessing the situation and finding
the correct remedy. To a pianist who doesn't know from jacks, butts or
springs  it may be a dynamics control problem. A technician needs to see
past that and zero in on the precise malfunction or set of malfunctions
at the root of this dynamics control problem, before thinking of
remedies. The sort of one-to-one correlation between symptoms and
procedures without reference to underlying principles or issues that is
suggested by this springs/dynamics statement is precisely what results
in an awful lot of substandard piano service.

Israel Stein