[pianotech] One more offer, then I promise to shut up. Really.

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Mon May 11 05:37:35 MDT 2009

Jeezzzzzzz, will you please promise to send the photos to the List so we can
stop having the pleas for photos...?????

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044

David - Here's the thing. The piano in question is being restored as a gift.
The owner knows that the photo essay which I send him is being shared with
other technicians - but that it will not be broadcast to the world at large
by posting on a website. I need to honor that promise.

On future projects, if I do this again (every photo set I send out, and I've
sent 4 out so far, adds an hour or two onto my day), I will gladly post them
in a way that is more convenient, and which results in fewer followup
postings.

My motivation for doing this is simple. I hope to see a day and age in which
well done restorations of older uprights and grands fetch a high enough
price that anyone who wishes to earn a decent income on the side can open up
shop and do just that.

It takes quality work, however, and cutting corners and turning out a cheap
product won't do the trick. One badly done "restoration" hurts the prospects
for everyone, in that anyone who sees poor quality workmanship on a piano is
unlikely to consider the option for themselves.

On the other hand, when the job is done right - when the finish is glassy
smooth, the tone is full, the touch responsive and the beautiful workmanship
that pianos were often built with at the turn of the last century is brought
back to life - that type of work generates interest in others and leads to
more work. It seems to snowball.

I have the advantage of having a portfolio of photos of dozens and dozens of
pianos that we've restored in our shop. I charge between 6 and 12 k for an
upright restoration, which I'm sure is chicken feed on the coasts, but here
in Iowa, certainly pays the bills. I maintain a tuning business as well,
which is advantageous in that that source of income provides checks on a
daily basis. We always have jobs coming into the shop, so I spend as much
time out there as I possibly can. I love a day in the shop - that's what I'm
doing today as a matter of fact.

So, here's the last time you'll hear from me on this topic. If you would
like to see first hand, the processes used in restoring an upright in a way
that leads to repeat business and affords a reasonable income, I'm willing
to share the photos. The photo sets have a lot of pictures, and believe it
or not, very little text. They are bigger photographs  (5" width) than what
my articles in the Journal are illustrated with. I've sent out 4 sets
totallying 60 shots so far. We've got the case and the action completely
torn down, and will be shortly beginning actually repair work.

Therefore, anyone wishing at this late moment to see for yourself what we do
in our shop, please e-mail me personally. Don't reply to this on the list!
E-mail me! David's had enough, as I'm sure everyone else has as well. I'm
even getting tired of seeing my original posting re-re-re-reposted. Did I
say you should e-mail me? If you do in the near future, I'll catch you up
with all the shots you miss. I currently have 85 technicians on the list - I
would like to see a lot more.

If anyone currently getting the photos would wish to post a brief comment on
whether or not they are proving to be useful, that might be nice, but
please, keep it brief. Like a tweet, only smaller. Maybe just a twee. Or a
tw. . .

Okay, I'm done. Really. This is my last word on the topic. There, are you
happy now?  Chuck

Oh, by the way, OT, I'm now selling automobile bug-deflectors made from old
music desks. Get yours now, while they last. They are impressive to the
common folk. C