[pianotech] Question about perfect pitch

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Tue May 12 02:31:26 MDT 2009

   Maybe not all, but some, yes, definitely.  I had what was (and,
unfortunately, still is) called "perfect" pitch (but is really just
"good pitch recognition, at least most of the time), and when I was
young, I could not play on a piano that was approaching a half-step
flat.  I would play a C chord and it would sound like a B chord.  My
fingers just would not obey what my mind was telling them to do.
    Eventually I developed (unconsciously) the skill to mentally
transpose up a half step what I was hearing, and now I can play on a
piano that's quite flat, maybe even a whole step low, and it doesn't
bother me like it used to.
    I also was able to tolerate pianos that were way out of tune before
I became a tuner.  I just mentally compensated in my mind, knowing what
it was really supposed to sound like.  I don't have as much tolerance
for that now.  Maybe if I were pounding out blues in a noisy bar where
people weren't listening that closely . . . .
    If one does much home recording, jumping back and forth from the
piano to the stereo to recording to playing another instrument, back to
the stereo, then to the piano, recording, playing back, etc., then a
piano that's not on standard pitch would be absolutely maddening.
    --David Nereson, RPT