[pianotech] somewhat OT -- step vs. tone

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 12 13:28:01 MDT 2009

>From Wiki:

"A semitone, also called a half step or a half tone,[1] is the smallest musical interval commonly used in Western tonal music,[2] and it is considered the most dissonant.[3] The most commonly written form of this interval is the minor second (Minor second on C.mid Play (help·info)), notated using two adjacent letter names (e.g. C and D?), but the augmented unison is also used, both notes having the same letter-name, with one of the notes being inflected by an accidental (e.g. C and C?).

In twelve-tone equal temperament all semitones are equal in size. Any equal-tempered interval can be defined in terms of an appropriate number of semitones (e.g. an octave is 12 semitones wide). In other tuning systems the term "semitone" refers to a family of intervals which may vary both in size and name. Often a distinction is made between a diatonic semitone (notated as a minor second), and a chromatic semitone (as an augmented unison). These are enharmonically equivalent in equal temperament."

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044