[pianotech] Another solution to "inaccessible" rocker capstan screws on an ancient square grand.....

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 13:56:47 MDT 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, so far.....     While griping about this to a local friend/tech on the phone last night, I mentioned that the screws were inaccessible from the front, back or sides..........but suddenly felt a little "dishonest".    Why, pondered I, the "sense of shame"?
     And then it "came to me":  I suspect they assembled this thing with a  special jig, OR put on one hammer and shank at a time ( starting in the extreme treble, if right-handed ) adjusted the jacks to that knuckle, put on the next hammer, etc., all the way to the bass......     Anywax, unless a better solution posits itself, this is how I will proceed, after making a  pattern of the shank positions on the hammer rail.

Peace, Thumpe

Euphonious Thumpe