[pianotech] Gulbransen pedals

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue May 12 16:02:28 MDT 2009

A repair I recently did (and sadly neglected to take photos...) was on a
1954 Gulbransen spinet. The pedal had been repaired once already, possibly
twice. It had been brazed, I believe, then "reinforced" with some thin metal
straps attached with nuts/screws through the vertical holes.

When I first encountered it, it was broken in two places. I went to Lowe's
or Menard's and bought some aluminum channel, and also some 2mm flat
aluminum, and some JB Weld. First experience with JB Weld and I am very
impressed. Mixed it up and slopped the channel full, dropped the pedal parts
in, and covered the top with the 2mm flat. Let it cure for about a week,
filed off the excess and installed it in the piano. I'm pretty sure it's
about 100x stronger than original.

Only thing to watch for is that the opening in the front of the piano is
large enough to accomodate the pedal's larger stem, which it was in this
case. None of the aluminum is visible with the piano in its normal
configuration (i.e. knee panel on)

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN