[pianotech] nomenclature

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri May 15 17:47:32 MDT 2009

My first thought was that a "peg" is always wooden whereas a "pin" is
more generally used of a metal piece.  However, I am thinking mainly of
UK usage, and on checking "Peg" in the dictionary, am reminded that what
in the UK we call "clothes pegs" are, in the USA, called "clothes pins".

I don't think this really helps......

Best,

David.

 >If technically inaccurate and misleading but widely used nomenclature
is defended so vigorously on a technical list, why don't we call tuning
pins pegs (or do we?)? Pretty much everyone else out >there does, and
it's not an inaccurate description. Just wondering.