[pianotech] Microsoft Access info

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun May 17 08:05:17 MDT 2009

To the list:

This mail is directed to those of you who may be using Microsoft Access as
your database for your piano business.  I am contemplating the changeover
from Lotus Approach 97 (yeh, it’s that old!), as I have recently learned
that even the most recent versions of Approach will not run in 64 bit Vista.
I cannot assume that Lotus will continue to support Approach into the new
operating systems, as Lotus Smartsuite has largely gone by the wayside.  My
home computer died a couple of weeks ago, and I replaced it with the beast I
am writing to you on (HP with AMD Phenom Quad Core, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB hard
drive, 256 MB ATI Radeon video card, and a 20 inch HP monitor; running 64
bit Vista Home Premium – all for $730 from Staples!!).  So far, no problems
(haven’t tried yet).  It is pretty fast – 64 bit Internet Explorer loads in
a little over a second.  Drivers are still being written for it though, as
FLASH won’t run on it as the 64 bit version is not available yet.  For those
of you who may be contemplating a new computer purchase in the near future,
it is astounding how cheap everything is once you get away from the bleeding
edge of technology.

The machine at the shop is a 4 ½ year old Compaq Windows XP machine.  It’
starting to get a little flaky, so the handwriting is probably starting to
get on the wall.  I need to be proactive before this machine dies and my
database software becomes an orphan.  Hence my consideration of MS Access.
I’m running MS Office 2003 on that computer, so I should be able to buy
Access as an upgrade for a little over $100.

12 or 13 years ago I designed my own databases in Approach.  A fair amount
of work, but not particularly hard.  I was able to convert my files and
import them into Approach from Symantec Q & A.  I will want to build new
databases in Access and import the data from Approach.  I have been able to
find out that Access can import data from Dbase IV, which is the format used
by Approach (Or at least they say it is possible, the proof is in the
pudding).

It is likely that, by the time I replace this shop computer, most everything
will be running 64 bit Vista.  So I will need to plan for a database that
runs on that platform.  At home, I have MS Office 2007 (without Access).  It
loaded with no problems, as did my file transfers.

For those of you using Access, did you find it particularly difficult to
build your databases?  Any foibles I should know about?  The usual – the
good, bad, and ugly.

Thanks in advance for whatever you wish to share.

Will Truitt