[pianotech] Dampp-Chaser salt buildup

Ruth Phillips ruth at alliedpiano.com
Tue May 19 15:34:59 MDT 2009

(This is late because I changed my personal e-mail address and didn't get it
changed for posting.  Ruth)

It sounds like their water softener is on overdrive, or they are adding
salt.  I used to see that occasionally before DC had its own treatment,
when people who used distilled water would need to add a little salt to
conduct electricity for the water light to work.  If they added it each
time with the water, rather than once right after a cleaning, you could
get these large formations of salt crystals on top of the wicks.  The
best combination for cleanliness, no corrosion, and light function, is
distilled water with DC's pad treatment.  In most homes tap water is fine.
It will show up quickly, definitely by six months, if distilled is needed.

Ruth Phillips
ruth at alliedpiano.com