[pianotech] yamaha upright bridge question

davespianotuning davespianotuning at earthlink.net
Wed May 20 07:01:32 MDT 2009

HI all:

I was looking at a Yamaha upright with S/N 973433 for a customer.  I did not have good access to see the soundboard - bridge area, but could peek in with a flashlight.  My question is... All the bridges I've seen where they are glued to the sound board have been one solid piece of wood.  This bridge ( the piece glued to the soundboard ) either had 3 large cracks, OR it was actually cut with a slot in 3 places.  Does anyone know if Yamaha actually cut slots on purpose, or was I seeing cracks.  Sorry for not having pictures.
Dave