[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 21 19:24:09 MDT 2009

William Truitt wrote:

> Those of you on the list who have engaged in bass string rescaling along
> these lines, I would most appreciate your comments and your observations
> on the aural  benefits derived from such machinations.

Getting the rebar cores replaced with something smaller and
more flexible, like that 0.053" you noted, is a big low bass
improvement. Add double wrapping, and you've improved the
flexibility of the string enough that there might actually be
some fundamental in it instead of a lot of high partial clank.
Getting the break% up is then easy because of the smaller
diameter core. The inharmonicity decrease is an artifact of
these beneficial changes, and is just more or less going along
for the ride.
Ron N