[pianotech] Oil spill fumes?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri May 22 10:10:55 MDT 2009

On 5/22/09, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:
> they probably mean either hammers or dampers.
>
> On Friday, May 22, 2009, Tom Driscoll <tomtuner at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> List,
>> I've been asked to evaluate a grand
>> piano of unknown size and make that was exposed to odors caused by a
>> heating oil
>> fuel spill in a home.The attorney that contacted me is wondering if the
>> "pads"
>> may need replacing.
>>  This is a new one for me and I
>> was wondering if anyone has any expertise-experience in this regard. As
>> always
>> your collective advice appreciated.
>> Tom -Captain Hazelwood
>> -Driscoll

Avast!, Matey!

If the question was not what might have been damaged, but if/how
anything might have been, you should know that furnace oil is
basically a grade of kerosene.

Between charcoal lighter fluid and jet fuel, I think.  The felt may
have absorbed odors that the customer may want to eliminate, but
unless the spill was into the piano itself, I don't think that
functionality would be affected.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT  - whose first job out of HS was in furnace oil
delivery department at an oil refinery...