[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri May 22 20:28:22 MDT 2009

Jude:

So what are the ranges he presented in his handout?  :-)

I am planning on going back to my customer's house and minimally take string
measurements at the end of each section, monochords, bichords, etc., and
perhaps some notes in between.  Then calculate tension, inharmonicity, etc.,
and fill in the blanks by rescaling.  The scale on his piano certainly has
more fundamental than the original scale.  I'm not sure how much the
differences in tension between the two scales ( the original and my
revision) will affect your observation that the cantilevered bridge should
be lightly loaded. I am attracted to this scaling because it is one that I
know sounds really good, and my efforts for the present are to obtain a
deeper understanding of the why and the what.

At any rate, I'll be sharing all that data with you once I complete the
loop.

Will