[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat May 23 17:11:34 MDT 2009

>My point was, and is, that we don't hear the inharmonicity in the
>pianos. We hear tension, Z, and partials mix our choice of core
>wire, tension, and break% gives. Inharmonicity comes in when you're
>trying to tune across a transition with a big mismatch.

I agree Ron N that the poor transition of inharmonicity and Z across
the bass/treble break is perhaps the most obvious problem with many
OEM scales. The usual tunability mess that is created when a designer
decides to use covered bi-chords on the last few notes on the long
bridge as a band aid fix for plummeting string tensions in the
hockey-stick area is also one of my pet hates. Why design a piano
with such an obviously poor work-around when a better solution would
be to take a dash of courage, and design the piano with the break
further up the scale, where it should have been in the first place?

However, I believe that if inharmonicity is high enough it does
effect our ability to easily determine the pitch of a note in the low
bass, where in some scales the inharmonicity can be undesirably high.
The obvious example of this would be a comparison between a piano
with a very short bass scale and any concert instrument, when
comparing the lowest minor third interval C to A on the keyboard.
When listening to this interval on a long-bass scale the minor third
will be well defined. But the same test on the shorter scaled bass
will sound nothing like a real minor third. The higher inharmonicity
of the short string scale will result in such pitch deviation between
the fundamental frequency and the upper partials, that the identity
of pitch will become a murky matter.

Even in a rescaled D, pitch identity on the low bass can be improved.
We had the opportunity to compare our modified model D bass scale to
an OEM iteration first hand between 1993 to 1988. Of the two
performance Ds at the ABC, one had our modified scale while the other
remained factory standard. The piano with the OEM bass had been
restrung also, but we decided to leave its string scale as factory
standard, to cater for those pianists who might have had a preference
for the standard bass tone. The pitch identity improvement of the
lower inharmonicity scale was noticeable. This was noteworthy because
the high inharmonicity scale was only about 3 cents sharp on the
double octave harmonic of the low A, while the improved scale was
under 2 cents on this note, and we could hear an improvement in the
perceived pitch identity.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY