[pianotech] Removing a Steinway Pinblock

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun May 24 16:07:44 MDT 2009

Al:

I've been using this tool since Andre came up with it. Yes, it is always
scary to use a large router blade at the speeds with which it spins. Yes, it
is  always wise to be sufficiently and necessarily anxious, but not driven
to  catatonia by power tools. With proper set up (a rolling stool, a stop
wedge on  the tail caster, and all the proper safety gear--glasses, ear
protection, dust  mask), it takes about 20 minutes to remove the entire block as a
whole  for dimensionality with little further handwork.

I saw a technician many years ago demonstrate using a chain saw to do this
at a regional meeting. In a conference suite. With students sitting within
5-10  feet, without safety gear available. Amusing only in that everyone
left intact,  if dazed and overcome with exhaust fumes.

Paul

In a message dated 5/24/2009 4:14:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,