[pianotech] Repairing bridge root lamination splits

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Sun May 24 16:51:34 MDT 2009

Hi Ron:

It appears that the grain is following the direction of the laminate, at
least in the area of the splits.  I don't know if American and German
Steinways used a different lamina along with the maple, I always thought
that was mahogany.  No matter, I think your remedy is appropriate either
way.  I like your hammer shank remedy, and will likely use it when I go into
the shop tomorrow.

Thank you, Ron!

Will