[pianotech] Steinway A Bass String Rescaling

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 26 13:57:02 MDT 2009

David Love wrote:
> It's that judgment that I'm interested in.  I go back and forth as well.

It's, like anything else that's evolving by trial and error
beyond what the numbers tell me, an accumulation of evidence
and a windage adjustment from the last few iterations. It's
not a no risk, perfected, follow the checklist sort of thing
just yet. Tuning is far better quantified, and look at the
disagreements that generates.

> The best "spreadsheet" fit often involves a fairly radical shortening of the
> speaking lengths such that the original designs that employed that modified
> the strike point with a new agraffe line.   I'm not interested in doing that
> and so have kept my own modifications of the speaking lengths more
> conservative although that tends to cause a drop in the inharmonicity curve
> and an increase in the BP% farther than I would normally go.

Yes, that's a compromise. Another approach is to not worry
about the strike point that low in the scale and optimize the
rest of it. Or, split the difference and try for least bad
somewhere in between. Not being able to easily replace the
plate necessarily imposes some limitations.

>Spreadsheet
> also don't always necessarily make for perfect tonal transitions for reasons
> unknown to me, even though they are certainly better than the precipitous
> tension drop offs characteristic of the original.

They certainly are better. Not just different, better. But
we're still learning. At this point, we can (often very
dramatically) improve overall tone and get smoother
transitions than the original, but we are still operating with
no quantified definition of what constitutes good tone, let
alone the 100% fail proof recipe for assembling it in a piano.

>Are you totally satisfied
> with the tonal characteristics of the transitions and, if not, how would you
> characterize the tonal differences that you experience across those breaks
> (difficult to answer I know).

Totally satisfied? No. I don't know how anyone who would take
this stuff up in a developmental fashion could ever be
*totally* satisfied. I've been deliriously happy about some of
them, but the next one will be another day. I grade
incremental improvements on the curve. As I learn more about
what factors improve (to my ear) certain aspects of certain
areas of the scale, another potential improvement assumes the
temporarily higher priority, and I'm chasing that one next
time. That doesn't mean the last thing is perfected, but just
that the next thing needs attention first. The bass/tenor
crossover has a whole lot of factors to consider. Soundboard
response is, I think, a biggie. How to get a similar volume
from the low tenor and the high bass, and have that blend
gracefully into the tenor and lower bass without sticking out
as either louder or softer than what's around it. Doing it on
paper with the scaling isn't overly difficult, but making it
happen in a piano adds considerable complication. I'm finding
that keeping the bass and low tenor light helps keep the
clangy upper partials there down, and gives me somewhere to go
with mass loading if necessary. Fine control of tone quality
there still needs research. At least half of the challenge is
that cleaning up that low tenor area makes the piano sound
different from 98% of the pianos we've listened to through our
entire lives, and we have to decide which we prefer. We
usually want something to be just the same, only without the
annoyances, which isn't possible, so we have to get around our
own training and decide what is important.

Another thing I've found in doing this sort of work. If you
change anything from the original, no matter how much better
it sounds than the original equipment model as a result, there
will be those for whom it can never be good enough. It must be
absolutely perfect in every way, and since it doesn't sound
like the original, it isn't. This is from expert bystanders,
typically. The folks who contract for the work are overall
quite happy and pleased.

None of this is probably good for anything, but it all fits
into the process somewhere.

Back to work,
Ron N