[pianotech] SSM evaluation

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Tue May 26 15:45:38 MDT 2009

Hello list,
Doing an evaluation of a 8 year old SSM I found that there is very high front bearing in the high treble measured at f7 = nine divisions on the Lowell Bubble Gauge or .027", two divisions at f6, negative 5 divisions at f5, then two positive at f4 and mostly the same through the long and bass bridges.
This is total bearing - leveled the guage on speaking length and measure tail.
I could measure crown under the board in the middle but it is flat in the bass and almost flat in the treble with possibly 1/64" crown.
The tone and sustain at c5 through e6 are reasonably good with power and color.
I am curious if the negative bearing at f5 would be a disqualifier so that I should not recomend the piano to my client?
Thanks for any insights.
Gene