[pianotech] SSM evaluation

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Tue May 26 23:18:01 MDT 2009

Gene:

I cannot tell from one measurement zeroed from the spl.
However, on a piano that is strung, how useful is this  information?

I don't know since it depends on what possible and how deep a repair of a
given situation you might plan.

What can be done about where  the bearing is or is not or how the top of
the bridge is shaped without  surgery?

I guess more information in any case is better than less. I would, for
example, if the net is 27 or better than 1.5 degrees, if most of it is on the
backscale, you might have different problems than if most of it is on the
speaking length side. I have run into situations where changing the back
bearing  condition caused a major and audible improvement in the sound of the
piano. I  wouldn't have been able to do that without the component diagnosis.

Possibly if bearing were adjustable it would be useful to know  component
bearing? What could be done with the  information?

Bearing on the back scale is almost always adjustable if adjustment is to
be made. Obviously, speaking side bearing is more difficult. But again, how
would one know without the components?

Regards,

Paul

(http://www.whereitsat.com/?ncid=emlwenew00000004)