[pianotech] Modified L Scale with 5 note transition

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu May 28 10:57:14 MDT 2009

Also, based on your chart and having seen previous iterations of your work
my transitions look a bit different than yours.  Attached are some photos of
some modified bridges with transition.  One is a B the other one is an L.
I'm creating a small modification on these in order to accommodate a
transition that doesn't play with the strike point that much and involves
adding less "stuff" at the end of the long bridge.  Both use the end segment
of the original bridge (why waste) cut and added back as the transition.  On
the L pictured the original bass bridge is used but the cantilever is
shortened to give a bit more backscale length.  The B has 7 notes on the
transition, the L has 5.  It does allow for getting a smoother transition
with tension and Z while having to make only a small compromise in the
inharmonicity through the transition section.

David Love

  My first modified is much more like this and it certainly looks better on
paper but it represents a bit of a drop off from the original bi-chord
tensions in the bass and I go back and forth about how to treat that
section.  The original does jump up a bit too much for me and makes the
tenor bass break awkward.  Adding the transition certainly helps.  However,
dropping that bichord section down too low could also make the bass sound a
slightly weak to some who are used to something different.  How do you think
about that.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com