[pianotech] Modified L Scale with 5 note transition

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 28 11:01:38 MDT 2009

Gene Nelson wrote:
> I have read how Del Fandrich describes Z = the square root of
> springiness multiply by inertia.
> Inertia should be a simple Newtonian mass measure - do you weigh the board?
> How do measure springiness - it could only come from the ribs - am I on
> the right track?
> How do you get this onto spreadsheet?
> Gene

This is string scale. The board is something entirely
different. My Z is a combination of Conklin's characteristic
impedance formula, with a kinetic motion formula sort of
averaged in. Jim Hays' formula from "A Guide to Restringing"
is a good one too. Whatever you use, the numbers aren't
representative of anything absolute, but the curve produced
should be a decent indication of what you'll hear in the
scale. It's a guide, most valuable at the scale transitions to
indicate how much the perceived volume level will change going
from monochord, to bichord, to plain strings. Then you have to
build a board that won't muck up your scale.
Ron N