[pianotech] Modified L Scale with 5 note transition

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri May 29 07:34:53 MDT 2009

I set up my spread sheet a few years ago and did it originally all from
Robert's book.  Since then it's gone through some iterations and to be
honest I don't now recall whose formula is on there.  Once I get them onto
the spread sheet the formulas have a way of disappearing from my
consciousness.

I do different things with respect to rib arrays.  All projects employ bass
cutoff bars.  I generally install straight ones as they're easier to clamp
when you don't want to cut the board, which I don't.  They all connect to
the belly rail in about the same spot somewhere around note 50 and shorten
the longest ribs lower in the rib scale to around 800 - 850 mm.  Some have a
treble fish and some don't.  I don't always lay in a new rib array but if I
do it's radialized.  The two projects pictured use the original rib
locations.  I don't know what a "Z bar" is.  At least not by that name.

I've gone back and forth between new and original rib locations depending on
the customer's goals (new rib arrays cost more), and also to explore select
variable changes as a mode of comparison.  As Ron mentioned what would be
really nice is to get 5 or 6 of the same piano and do a sequence where you
change select variables to see what happens and give you side by side
comparison.  This job could be so much more fun if we didn't have to worry
about making money doing it.

To copy a chart to email (with a PC), open the excel spread sheet and open
the new email.  Go to the excel sheet and click on the chart, hit Ctrl C to
copy the chart (or anything else for that matter--keyboard shortcut).  Go to
the email put the curser on the email where you want the chart to appear and
hit Ctrl V to copy.  Very easy.  Don't know on a Mac.  You need to be in
HTML format which means the chart won’t get into the archives.  Won’t work
in plain text.

BTW, here’s the latest scale iteration (Steinway L) having had to make a few
concessions on the long bridge down in the tenor section.

You can kind of play with these things forever but at some point you do
actually have to make a decision and build it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com