[pianotech] Repairing Bridge

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun May 31 16:34:45 MDT 2009

Paul said:
Thanks Ron... I'll do that. The original bridge is slightly less than
1.375", so I reckon I won't have to glue slabs together as long as I start
with 1.375" or thicker stock.

Thanks everyone!

Paul,
The best way to fix it is: 1. take measurements at each end and the middle of the overall thickness of the bridge. 2. Slice off the top of the bridge with a fence on the band saw. Suggest taking just slightly less than 1/2" of the top of the bridge off. 3. Make a piece of stock slightly thicker then 1/2" thick , )I use aircraft plywood for this, but you can use delignit if you have), and glue it back on the bridge. (this piece should be approx. the same shape, so that trimming will not be a chore.) 3. With a horizontal sander, thickness the bridge back to the original dimension. 4. From the pattern, that you made before you started all of this, transfer the original pin/string spacing to the new bridge cap surface. 5. drill the cap for the appropriate sized bridge pins. 6. Shape the bridge to the proper termination bevels. Use a fine wood rasp for this operation, not a chisel! 7. Mask off the bridge top and sand the entire bridge. Finish with a good varnish or laquer. 8. Remove masking and insert bridge pins using a 3/32" Nail Set to do the final seating. 9....Yer Not done yet! 10.....Reinstall the bridge. 11. Let glue set up properly and re-install the strings, bring to tension and seat strings on hitches and bridge surface. 11. Now you're done.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police