[pianotech] Piano Built completely in Virginia-pics

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Sun May 31 19:20:06 MDT 2009

Hello Will,

yes the chesapeake bay is 'tasted for resin.  (probably).   Anywho,  to answer some more about the plate, the term "stacked weldment" means that I layered the steel.  The material I used is 10ga (0.135" thick).  The thickness of the plate is a VERY varied question.  In order not to twist at the back, the plate is 3/4" thick as if it were formed in cast.... but layered and spaced appropriately.  The front of the plate incorporates similar features of a modern cast plate.  IE:  it would be a terrible thing for a plate to bow down onto the action like many victorian plates, so the thickness here resembles 3"....... but not really.  That 3" is from the top strut level, to the gusset at the bottom of the pinblock.  If the placement of various components is void, or irregular, or incorrect, problems will show up quickly under load and the instrument is all for not.  this plate took me 574 hours to draw before I released it to the shop for fabrication.  Incedentally, every string was laid out on paper prior to release as well.  You have to even account for the vibrations possible between an overstrung bass string, and one of the wire strings it passes over.  THEY BETTER CLEAR EACH OTHER NO MATTER WHAT or you lose much sleep.

Now, as for the carbon fiber, A.H.S.S. is hot rolled in manganese and carbon at the steel mill.  The bonded carbon fiber layers are clad in fiberglass to prevent natural galvanic corrosion (carbon is conductive and static can cause rust between dis-similar "metals")....The bonded carbon fiber panels are pressed up in my shop, and the steel is cut down the road on a water-jet to my .dxf files.  Welding is done in a manner to even stresses in the steel, and aid the solid tabbed joints.  Welds are not necessary for strength, but they do increase the strength.  A Deadening effect is REQUIRED for the plate to be inert to tone, so we took whatever steps necessary in the weld shop to obtain this too.

I promise you, this plate is ELABORATELY complicated.  It would easily make more sense to cast plates, but saving 300lbs, and offering a crack-resistant design seemed worth it to me.  As for the looks, I dare anyone to show me how it does not look cast.  sheet metal was always one of my strengths, and every inch of every blueprint this shop produces is prayed over fervently.  The plate works well, and is much stiffer and straighter than cast plates.

hope this is helpful.

God Bless,

Mark