[pianotech] A new kind of CA glue

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sun May 31 19:54:45 MDT 2009

Gorilla brand Super Glue "contains tint rubber particles which make it impact resistant."

My first tests confirm that Gorilla Super glue and Super glue gel have unique working qualities of value to piano technicians.

1) Bench top test of pinblock scrap with tuning pin loose in the hole. I swabbed the hole with Gorilla Super glue and let it harden, then drove the pin. It felt very tunable, not "crackling," and after about 25 times back-and-forth swings of the lever (about 45 degree swings), it still felt the same.

2) Dog chewed corner of ebony pedal box. Made a "mold" by taping gummed package tape to the box, and squirted Gorilla Super glue gel into the mold. Sprayed kicker and let it harden for about 30 minutes. Peeled off the tape and pared it with a chisel to fit the contour. Sprayed with primer and black lacquer. Good result.

3) Drilled a 3/16" hole in pinblock scrap, filled with Gorilla Super glue gel, and inserted a #7 bridge pin, vertical, 3/8" of the pin sticking out. Sprayed with kicker and let harden for about 5 hours. Pared the top flush with a chisel and then tapped the pin with a hammer until it was bent 45 degrees. The glue collar didn't crack or chip.

This stuff seems to perform as advertized. It is strong and more impact resistant than standard CA. The "thin" glue is a bit thicker than standard thin CA, and the gel is "gel." Both take somewhat longer to harden than CA glue, which I find comfortable. It is easy to carve at first, harder to carve after a few hours.

I think this glue has good potential for use in piano work, such as in repairs of music desk hinges, loose key tops, possibly for loose and popping tuning pins, and bridge and bridge pin repairs.

Available at hardware and home supply stores. (Wherever Gorilla Glue is sold!) Use at your own discretion and let us know how it works.

Ed Sutton