[pianotech] Repairing Bridge

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun May 31 23:43:33 MDT 2009

The problem is that if you don't understand what it is you are trying to
accomplish with placing bridge pin holes and spacings you can end up making
a bad copy of possibly a bad layout to begin with.  I see a lot of bad
bridge layouts mostly from trying to make copies of old bridge pin
placements and then just missing by a millimeter or two front or rear and
ending up with either way to much side bearing or none at all.  Layout it
out from scratch isn't difficult.  You can mess up making a pattern just as
easy as you can mess up doing it from scratch.  For those not familiar with
the process it goes something like this:

1.        Choose a reference hole on the agraffe, right or left it doesn't
matter, I use the treble side hole.  Stretch a string through your reference
hole an pull it tight toward its hitch pin.

2.       Where the string crosses the bridge draw a line along side of it
(heavy fishing line works fine).  That's your reference line for that note.
Go to the next note (not unison) one and do the same until you have all the
lines drawn for each note

3.       Check the spacing to see that it's equal between the lines.
Remember that there's another line to go next to it for the other bichord
and notice that the spacing between where the bichords and the monochords
begin will be a bit different.

4.       Measure the spacing between (right to left not front to back yet)
the old set of bichord holes.

5.       Using a clear ruler draw a line parallel to the first one you drew
for the other string in the bichord pair.

6.       Visually check the spacing again and correct if necessary.   Look
at the old bridge cap and see if it roughly matches the spacing there.

7.       Measure the front to back spacing on the original and duplicate it
roughly or just use 18 mm.  Drawing a line connecting the bichord lines
(looks kind of like a tic-tac-toe diagram now except for the monochords).
Center the front to back spacing on the bridge body. Check it visually.

8.       Where those line cross each other is where the bridge pins will go
angled appropriately.  One note of caution before you set the holes, be sure
that there isn't a set of adjacent strings where the front holes of one note
will be exactly adjacent to the rear holes of the adjacent note such that
the opposite leaning bridge pins will hit each other.  If there are some of
those then adjust your rear spacing to accommodate.

9.       Using sharp punch or an awl  punch small starter holes for the
drill to use as a guide.  They should by punched exactly on the line
representing the string line.  You don't need to offset them, the diameter
of the bridge pins will do that for you.

10.   Drill the holes at 20 degrees.

11.   Notch or bevel the bridge as you choose.

12.   Coat bridge and notches with clear sealer.

13.   When the sealer is dry lightly sand bridge top to smooth out sealer
with 400 paper.

14.   Insert bridge pins (I use #9 pins in the bass section)

15.   Put a single drop of thin CA clue where the pin meets the bridge to
seal and tighten the pin.

16.   Shoot bridge top (and sides) with a few light coats of clear lacquer.
Use an aerosol delivery with a fine mist.  You don't want a super heavy
coat.  Three light applications will do.

17.   String her up and you're off to the races.

Note:  You can skip step 5 if you have one of those two hole set punches
from Mazzaglia  (if you don't and do bridges they have a lot of excellent
tools just for this purpose www.geocities.com/mazzaglia_tools) that give you
the spacing  without having to draw in the second line although the first
time it's probably not a bad idea to draw the line in just so you can
visualize the front to back spacing and make sure it's centered on the
bridge.  Remember that on a curved bridge if you center the left hand
string, the right one won't be centered.  The trick is as you look down on
top of a bichord with four bridge pins, you want to compare the distance to
the bridge edge between the top left bridge pin and the bottom right one or
the top right and the bottom left.  Those distances need to be equal.

Measure twice, cut once.  Check everything visually and label and number
each unison in pencil on the bridge to as you go (you'll sand off the
numbers before you put the sealer on the bridge) .  Check it again and then
one more time before you start punching holes.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com