[pianotech] Time factor - extra income for your time

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 07:09:57 MST 2009

> I do the pitch raise anyway and a few extra things like dust off some of
the inside of the piano, adjust pedals when needed, and customers are
thrilled. Marshall<

Marshall - If you would like to add an extra few dollars to some of your
tunings, the best tip I can give you is to offer to vacuum the inside of the
piano, in particular under the keys. This in many cases has been ignored for
decades, and is badly needed. I myself have dust allergies, having worked
without a mask for all these years in the shop, and can tell almost
immediately when I'm working on a piano that's dirty inside. My sinuses
begin to act up, and my eyes begin to feel irritated.

The great thing about offering this service, is that not only is it needed
so often, but it is without a doubt the easiest sales job you'll ever have.
The procedure I use is to remove the fallboard and pull up a few keys. Call
the owner in, shine a flashlight to show the debris under the keys. Usually
there is not only a layer of dust, but insect remains, mouse droppings, etc.
With several keys removed, show how the up and down movement of the adjacent
keys results in air circulation - thus dust being released into the air.
Explain that you will gladly use your own vacuum (I carry a small can vac in
my car) to carefully vacuum the action, on top of the keys, and under the
keys. I offer the service for $39 (set your own price accordingly), and
always tell the owner that it can be done this time, or next time, at their
convenience. Probably 9 times out of 10, the owner will say, "If you have
time today, please, go ahead and do it!" Once in a while they will put it
off until next time. (At the time I schedule the next tuning, I'll remind
them, and it's usually booked then.) It's a 15 minute job, and results in a
cleaner work environment for you (plus a bit of extra income) and a more
sanitary piano for the owner. It's a win-win situation.

Two things to be cautious about. First, of course, take care not to suck up
any center rail or front rail felts. Use a dry 1 1/2 inch paint brush to
brush the dust off around the punchings towards the nozzle of your vac.
Secondly, if you're working on a spinet with grommets, especially if the
grommets are brittle, be very cautious about lifting the keys off up and off
of the center and front rail pins. I don't disengage the grommets, but
instead lift up a half dozen or so keys at a time, and swivel them far
enough to one side to vac, then replace them. Takes a bit more time. On
uprights and consoles, you can remove an entire section of keys at a time,
and set them on the piano bench beside you while you vacuum and brush out
the dust. Replace the set you're finished with, and move on to the next
section. When replacing the keys, make sure to lift up on the whippen and
sticker slightly as you put the key into place.

Anyway, just an idea. I put the money for vacuuming pianos in a special
savings account. On that account alone, in the last 10 years, my  wife and I
have gone on 2 Caribbean cruises. Every time I vacuum a piano, I think -
Well, there's another 20 minutes on the ship. It's a great motivation for me
to spend the time to do the work - especially in December and February, when
the snow is blowing outside and the wind chill is below zero.  I just
picture relaxing on the deck by the pool, with the sun shining down.

Take care.  Chuck