[pianotech] YC Action Brackets

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 08:11:43 MST 2009

 Matthew,

I did a bracket replacement on a Schafer and Sons made by YC in August and was paid $200.00 by YC, which covered about half of the work.  The customer was happy to pay for the other half (regulation, alignment, etc.), because I had originally quoted them a price based on NO reimbursement from the factory (other than free replacement brackets).

Getting the right brackets is of utmost importance.  You will have to replace some of the screws that hold the brackets to the keyframe, because the new brackets are a bit deeper.*  Instructions have been shipped with the brackets every time I've done one of these jobs (about 5 or so).

It makes it a whole lot easier if nobody has regulated the piano.  Otherwise, you spend a helluva lot of time turning capstans!

*If you ever work on and/or unpack Kawai upright pianos, the screws that hold the packing blocks in place are a perfect fit.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Dave Stahl Piano Service
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net
dstahlpiano.net