[pianotech] Tuning speed

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Mon Nov 2 21:48:39 MST 2009

Asking again... in these demonstrations, did the ETD user just "stop the
lights", or did he also use his ears?  I reckon that most ETD users that
produce a decent result need to use their ears.

Nearly every single ETD-vs-aural discussion on this list brings up the need
to use one's ears in addition to watching the pretty lights.

If in this Coleman/Defebaugh demonstration the ETD user completely turned
off the hearing/listening part of his brain, then that would indicate that
the technology in effect, even at that time, was equally capable to some of
the finest ears around. This would render the discussion about aural skills
(aside from being used in backup capacity) a moot point.

On the other hand, if Jim didn't pay 100% attention to the lights then the
demonstration/test is immaterial.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN