[pianotech] How to work out distance of action from the plate?

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Tue Nov 3 14:07:45 MST 2009

List,

I do not think my subject heading is well worded, so I will have to explain
myself.

I have come across some pianos where a restorer has removed the plate with
all the bolts and screws including the action standard bolts and then have
put everything back together again.  However in the process of removing and
replacing the plate, it seems that the measurement for the height of the
action standard bolts has been mixed up or forgotten and now the action is
to one degree or another warped and also sits at the incorrect distance than
it should or was originally.

I have thought about it but have not been able to work it out.  How does one
work out the correct distance of the action from the plate or from wherever
one measures it from?  I do not know where to measure it from, I have
thought maybe from the plate, maybe the soundboard, maybe the strings but
where is a point that is uniform or reliable that one can measure from and
how does one go about it?  Phew!!!  What a long winded question?  Sorry?  I
am not able to ask it simpler or in fewer words.  I hope you understand and
are able to help, your responses would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark