[pianotech] Upright Dolly Success!

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Wed Nov 4 20:25:44 MST 2009

Greetings List,

First of all I wanted to say thank you to every one who chimed in and
offered their collective insight on how to properly install a set of
dollies for an upright.  I learned quite a bit in the last few days,
which made my job today a breeze!

An extra big thanks go to Isaac Sadigursky, who phoned me at home last
evening and gave me tremendous insight into how to get the job done
quickly and safely.  He patiently answered all my questions for 20
minutes and helped me gather all the right tools for the job.  Thanks,
Isaac!!

Secondly, Jim McCormac emailed me and offered me the use of his
tilter. I'm sorry we weren't able to connect in time, but the offer
was more than generous.  Thanks, Jim!

So here's what I did.  I took all my power tools, different sized
bolts, lag screws, etc. and put them all in a backpack. This made it a
lot easier to transport across the campus to the band room.

The Yamaha P22 was on short carpeting already, but I still used an
additional blanket to cushion the piano.  Without a tilter (this
time!), I enlisted the aid of a couple of 8th grade boys, Matt and
Andy, that volunteered to help.  With their help we gently lowered the
piano on to its side.  The boys helped me hold up the dollies so I
could mark where the screws needed to go.  I then pre-drilled a 7/32's
hole for the 5/16" x 1-1/2" lag screws that I used on the back side.
On the underside a 1/4" x 1-1/2" hex head machine thread bolt was used
along with a large fender washer to disperse the load, a lock washer,
and a nut.

Due to the location of the holes and the depth of the bottom board and
bottom back frame, I was only able to put in two lag screws on the
back and two bolts on the bottom of each dolly.  Nothing impinges or
interferes with the pedal actions.  Also, the rear two holes on the
bottom of the dolly lined up exactly with the soundboard.  I
definitely did not want to drill through the side of that!  I also
removed the remaining casters from the piano.  Two were already
missing.  Luckily, the piano had no other damage.

So, here's some photos to laugh at... er... to criticize.... uh... I
mean, to peruse.

By the way, total time from start to finish was 35 minutes!

Thanks again!

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC
Murrieta, CA