[pianotech] Ivory Key Repair

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:44:02 MST 2009

Hello,

I have a client with a Steinway M with very nice ivory keys except for some discoloration *yellowing*, and two small cracks on the surface of two keys.  I have watched the recent Klaviermacher posts on youtube, read the most recent journal articles Aug 08 and Sept. 08 on ivory repair and looked at Acrilikeys information.

My question is what really should an ivory key feel like?  The clients keys are VERY textured.  I like the look of Klaviermachers' results but wonder if all the sanding still gives the correct tactile feel expected from real ivory?  Is just "bleaching" enough to remove discoloration yet preserve the correct feel?  And how does one repair the 1/4 inch cracks in the keys that have turned black?  And no the black crack is not the joint of the tail and head (:

All help appreciated,

Steven Hopp